Wednesday, July 2, 2008

A letter to my father

Hello,

Daddy.

You know, I remember a lifetime ago I was about three and a half feet tall, weighing only 12 kilos, but every inch your son. Those Saturday mornings, going to work with my dad and we'd pile into that big, grey Pajero.

I thought that Pajero was the... was the biggest car in the universe, Daddy. I remember how important the job you did was. How, if it weren't for you, people couldn't fill their cars with petrol. I thought you were the best man in the world.

Remember the times, when Mummy would try to bake cakes? Ice creams, football games, playing badminton.... the day I left for KL only to come home with the UIA chasing after me, that DEAN... When she had to chastise me, you said, "That's where you belong, finish what you started."

That was a good one, Daddy. That was really something. You remember that? And that time you told me that money wasn't real? Well, daddy, I'm 25 years old and I've finally realised what you were trying to tell me years ago.

I finally understand. You're the best, Daddy. I just wish I could've done more for you.

Anyway, may the wind always be at your back, and the sun always upon your face, and the winds of destiny to carry you aloft, to dance with the stars. I love you, Dad.

Love,
Azmi

No comments: